YouTube

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

The Resource Shuffle

Garrisons are one of the big selling points in Draenor, so naturally I have to talk at least a little about how to exploit them for fun and profit...


RESOURCES, HOW DO THEY WORK?

Resources are the basic building blocks of the Draenor, many sources have covered this at length so I won't go too far into it. But you earn resources every day by default, those resources can then be used to run Missions with our Followers, requisition Work Orders through the War Mill, but my favorite use of resources has to be at the Trading Post.

If the Trading Post was a celebrity, I'd be the president of the fan club. It does what it supposed to do, and does it well. Not only that, but it's versatile. You can trade Resources for materials like Frostweed, and you can also trade materials like Starflower for Resources via Work Orders. Then there's the additional amenities such as the increased reputation gains, the access to the (kinda sad) Laughing Skull reputation vendor, and most importantly the Ancient Trading Mechanism for easy Auction House access...

It makes me happy in the pants is what I'm trying to say...
EVERYDAY I'M SHUFFLIN'
For years "shuffling" has been enshrined as one of the more lucrative gold making methods in World of Warcraft. The old shuffle has been mostly removed by Blizzard, however Draenor offers us a new method, the Resource Shuffle. As mentioned earlier, each day a trader NPC will show up offering to trade Garrison Resources for raw materials, the NPC is chosen randomly, but always offers the same exchange rate (listed below).

RESOURCES PER ITEM
TRADEROREDUSTFURHERBSHIDEMEATFLESH
Yula (A)
4
5
4
8
10
5
8
Talgaiir (A)
10
10
5
5
4
8
4
Portanuus (A)
6
6
6
6
6
6
6
Krixel (N)
6
8
10
10
8
4
5
Pyxni (N)
8
4
8
4
8
10
10
Surehide (H)
4
5
4
8
10
5
8
Ribchewer (H)
10
10
5
5
4
8
4
Tai'tasi (H)
6
6
6
6
6
6
6

Note: Traders are marked by faction, there are a total of five possibilities on any given day, for any given faction (3 Alliance, 2 Neutral, 3 Horde).

For years "shu This means that if you're sitting on say, 5000 resources of disposable income on the day that Pyxni comes to town, you can trade for 1250 Draenic Dust. According to the Undermine Journal that would be approx 7937.50g (Median Price 6.35g each).

IN DUST WE TRUST
Obviously raw numbers will vary based on numerous factors, the general rule though is that you're going to want to buy Dust when you can get it at a good price. For Horde that means buying on Pyxni and Surehide days. Another thing to consider is stocking your own coffers, if like me you have an account full of 100s burning cooldowns daily, you need to keep them supplied with materials. Then you run into a big question: should I burn resources to restock? The answer is: maybe.

I keep a bank tab specifically for materials waiting to be processed, as pictured below...


By far the simplest way to "share" materials among my many alts...
There are three major gaps in my materials collection, in order of severity: Frostweed, Sumptuous Fur, and Draenic Dust. So, obviously I ignore the Herbs and the Cloth in favor of the dust right? Right. But why? For me it's a simple numbers game. I have to figure out which of the mats offers me the most value, and invest my resources there. I can then buy the remaining materials on the AH. Take the earlier example of having 5000 resources to burn, with Pyxni in town I could grab 3 full stacks of Dust, and still have room for 3 full stacks of Frostweed. However there's the average gold cost of these items to consider on the AH as well.

Current Median Prices for the three materials are as follows: Frostweed 1.97g, Sumptuous Fur 2.29g, Draenic Dust 6.35g . Add to this consumption level for each material amongst  my alts, I have 5 characters that require Dust daily. 4 that require Fur, and only 1 that requires Frostweed. Additionally, even after my basic needs for dust are met I'll still use the excess to create scrolls. It's the one crafting material that I simply cannot do without. So the clear winner is Draenic Dust 99.99% of the time. When do you not buy Dust? 

The only time I can see blowing my load on the other materials is if I have literally none of them and the prices on the AH are just too much. As you can see, I stock up when prices are good and generally I'm capable of getting through the lean times when the same trader is at the Trading Post for days on end (that's been a problem) or when the trader I need just won't show up. In general, I'd rather buy extra Dust, sell it, and turn that gold into two or three times as many of the other materials I need.

And that friends is where I leave you this week...




Remember,
Always Be Closing...

K

No comments :

Post a Comment