YouTube

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Introducing: The Gold Report!

The Gold Report is a weekly post about my recent exploits making and spending Gold in World of Warcraft. Inside you'll find tips, observations, and speculation. Hopefully you'll learn something, failing that perhaps you'll be entertained...

MIMIRON'S HEAD

The big news for me this week is that I finally got Mimiron's Head, I've been after this mount since Ulduar was released. So, I'm very happy to add it to the collection (back then I offered to gold cap a guild's bank for the pleasure of getting the mount, but no dice). For now, bask in the glory that is an Orc in a flying Robot Gnome Head...

Dr Robotnik takes to the skies...

Enough basking? No? Okay, I'll wait...

WHAT AM I BUYING?
This has been an interesting week, I began with a couple of big buys. Basically, I bought two full sets of Modules for the Ancient Trading Mechanism. If you've not been paying attention it breaks down like this: The Mechanism is an Auctioneer for your Garrison, you need to collect materials to create the 5 Modules necessary for repairing the Mech. The big stumbling block is the Universal Language Module, the parts for which come specifically from Ashran...

I picked up the first module this week at a pretty decent price, 65k. I had all of the other modules in my gbank ready to go. But decided to try flipping the kit in Trade. After a couple of days I noticed the price plumetting. I ended up getting out from under the thing breaking even at 75k for the entire kit. To me, breaking even is a loss. Because ultimately we're talking about time spent hawking the thing and assembling the materials. If I'm not making a profit, and a significant one at that, it's not worth my time to do it.

You'd think I'd have learned my lesson there and steered clear of the Mech, but that's not exactly the case. After seeing the price drop and appear to stabilize, I found a second Module for dirt cheap. I've since moved this to a character on my second account. Why? Well, I'm currently grooming that account for use almost exclusively in the Auction House. I've established a a guild bank there for long term storage of overflow. I've also established a gbank and character specifically for Glyphs, I don't have high expectations here frankly. As Zerohour pointed out earlier today on his own post 10 Reasons To Hate Inscription, the golden age of making a million gold per month off of glyphs is long gone. It's definitely not a market I'm interested in devoting my time to, however when I DO actually end up with a mass of cheap herbs Glyphs tend to be where they go, and those glyphs have to go somewhere.

WHAT AM I SELLING?
The gold game is in an odd state right now, and I know it's left me at a loss at times for what to think about things. However, one of my earliest predictions about Draenor appears to be more true than ever. The things that are most profitable for me aren't the crafted goods, it's more about the raw materials. If I list two stacks of Draenic Dust and 2 Greater Mastery Taladite, guess which one will sell first? In all probability I'll sell all of the dust before I sell a single gem. That being said the passive shuffling methods via Trading Post, etc become much more attractive. My own gold making methods haven't changed drastically as a result. However, as my alts continue to hit 100 (7/11 currently) I find myself rethinking some of my earliest assumptions about the profitability of certain decisions. I wouldn't say that I'm modifying my methods daily, but that's not too far off. I'm constantly making small changes to test theories and accommodate shifts in the economy, basically fine tuning. The real trouble comes in later if Blizzard decides (as I fear they already have) to add no meaningful new items to the list of commodities in Draenor. I mean really, how long do we want to juggle Savage Blood? Still there's gold to be made out there, for those willing to make it...


Remember,
Always Be Closing...

K

No comments :

Post a Comment